Friday, June 10, 2011

M F Husain


M F Husain passed away at 95 in London. Its sad that he breathed his last on a foreign land and not where he wanted to be. 

M F Husain was a painter who made his mark in the world of art. He was known as the "Picasso of India." I wouldn't know much about that. I have never really followed Picasso's work to be able to compare it with Husain's work and I haven't followed Husain's work either. I have seen a few paintings now and then but that would be all. 

The reason why I am writing this post is not to discuss his artwork but to question the sad state of affairs that our society at large happens to be in. His life was at risk here for a few religious groups believed strongly that he disrespected our Gods by his 'peculiar' depiction of them through his paintings. This was probably just one of the many things, I m guessing. He became famous more for the controversies he stirred up than for his paintings. 

I first heard about him a few years back when he was being flashed across the news channels. I first thought that maybe he was some criminal. Thenn, as I watched the news I found out that it was his paintings that were apparently causing ripples all across the country. The very bad ones. The ones that threatened his life.The ones that made him to live in self exile. Sigh.

Here was a man who wasn't harming anyone, not playing any dirty politics touted as somebody who was tarnishing the society in ways that I just cannot understand. His depiction of deities is the one that I distinctly remember being talked about. Scrutinized rather. I still don't understand even after all these years what the fuss was all about.

What made me laugh back then and even now I cant help but ridicule the so called religious groups who demonstrated their dislike for the paintings. They formed this commotion that somehow lead people to believe that if they didn't oppose this man they would be treacherous to their religion. And there went the common man supporting something that he had very little knowledge about. As if it was something that defined his existence. Sad but true. How easily our society can be influenced on the name of religion is beyond my comprehension.

I just hope that someday a common man in India will be allowed to express himself as he pleases and that his work or his opinon or his perspective on something will be given its due breathing space. Thats when we will be truly able to call our country democratic. .

Here are some of M F Husain's works.







No comments:

Post a Comment