Saturday, December 18, 2010

Rules. Matter much?

I wanna talk about something that connects all of us. Society.

How important is it for the society to guide you to do something. I would even go on to say that society is pretty much the one who decides what should be done and how it should be done. Why? 

I just finished reading Daughters of Arabia. Yet again it baffles me how we have set these rules that should be followed in order to have "the" life. Who decides what is to be done? Who gives someone that authority to be the one to decide. I have heard  that Jean Sason exaggerated a lot of things. Maybe she did. Things need to be dramatic to catch our attention. She wanted to sell a story after all. But I would still say that the essence of the book is very real. Maybe not every single thing happened but I m very sure that things like these do happen.I know they do. I do not even want to talk about what all I read. Its disturbing to say the least but its not something that I have not heard before. The sooner you get used to the prejudices in this world the easier it is to move on in life and accept it. But really is that what we should be doing? Being okay with it or should we fight it? And if we should then for how long do fight? Specially when you are the only one fighting it. .

Is it really that necessary to have these rules? These rules that dictate the way you live. When did that happen? Tracing back to history its been happening since life began. .Why did it happen? The need to be powerful maybe. The need to be acknowledged. Its sad to see that whenever in the times before when  all this began a very insecure man started it. The need for others to follow something you are doing to assert that its right just shows how hollow the person was despite being the leader.Of sorts. When did someone become better and more superior than the other? Really! And its not just in part of the world that it happens, it happens everywhere in the world. Only the degrees vary.

When did it become mandatory for everyone to follow a certain set of notions that a certain set of people believed in. Its sad how something like this loosely led to the formation of a society and hence maybe even a whole religion all by itself. Having a society is important and necessary. It being mandatory is not. Having a society should ease everyone's life and not restrict it.

But oh well, what can we do? One person cannot be the change but he can surely be the one to start it. For me a start is good enough. 

Hmm... So I think I m done for today with the big talk. However I have come up with something and that happens to go like this- Next time whenever you look at someone and find someone doing something that you would not do, step back and tell yourself that it is okay for someone to be different and to think differently even if he is the only one doing it. Let people be the way they want to be. Just as you deserve the right to do whatever you want to the other person does too.

Soo my BIG mantra for now and for ever is : Live and let live!

PS: Now that I m done with this I need my dose of fiction. Too much of reality just quietens me.Makes me sober. Not good. I need the chirpy me around me. Not too fond of silence! Soo I shall begin with my next one which happens to be The God of Small Things. I m so pathetic. I remember first seeing the book in my English class when we had to analyse some part of it. Back then it just never managed to grab my attention and quite honestly I did not understand much either but now I m in love with the book and now it all makes so much sense! 
For an entire(yes a complete freaking!) semester I have not been able to go beyond 50 something pages. It just gets too heavy and then I sit there adoring and analyzing and thinking of all the different things that it could imply. The words are soo vivid. It takes me to a different world.Hopeless I am. Yes I know. Sooo finally I will once and for all  and for all the love I have for the words I shall start the book and Finish it. 
Later!


2 comments:

  1. "The need for others to follow something you are doing to assert that its right just shows how hollow the person was despite being the leader." --- loved this line!

    ReplyDelete